25/5/16:Special Olympics (SO) Munster have confirmed that our application for community club status has been successful. This means that the Club can now compete as a stand alone club in the next 4 year cycle of table tennis competitions leading to the next international games in 2019. Our Wednesday night players are looking forward to the Munster regional competition in 2017 and preparations begin when we return after the Summer break.
01/06/16: The weekly Wednesday night session is finished for the Summer and resumes on 7 September next. In the meantime our SO members can continue to attend over the Summer at the Sunday morning sessions from now until then.
24/8/16:The family of the late Stephen Kelleher, a Club member for many years, raised some €1,000 for the Cope Foundation Physical Activity and Sports Department and presented same to Terence McSweeney last August. The Club has been allocated a grant from this money to establish a memorial trophy in Stephen’s name for Club activity. More details to follow. Our photo below members of Stephen’s family at the cheque presentation to Terence on 24 August last.
07/09/16: Wednesday night players are back! More players wanted.
18/9/2016: The Beech Hill team at the Munster rankings 2016. Beech Hill came first and second in the veterans over 40’s at the Munster Rankings 2016🏆🏆!
- Some competition dates to take note of: 19 November – Munster TTI ranking event in Kinsale; 14/15 January – Munster Open Competition in Kinsale, 01 April – Munster SO regional competition in Little Island. Further Munster TTI events to follow.
- We are in negotiation with Waterford SO Club to organise a home and away fixture before and after Christmas – we will host the first meeting and we hope to include a light meal in the proceedings in order to have a social aspect to the event.
- We are ordering the new Club shirts shortly and half of the cost of these will be added to the annual membership subscription to be taken up from December onwards. More detail of cost to be sent on asap.
- We plan to purchase a small number of new tables and ancillary equipment such as score boards, nets, etc in the coming months.
- We have commenced discussion with Scoil Bernadette, Cope Foundation, about a recruitment drive in the school this school year in order to bring in new Wednesday night players.
- SO Munster have confirmed that a coaching course for the Club has been scheduled for a location in Cork on Sat 22 October.
Four Club members completed the SO Introduction to Coaching Practices training programme on Saturday 22 October -Margie Hadden, Eoin Kelly, Bjorn Nielsen and Dan Horgan. Prizes for picking them out from these photos! Hint: try the bottom photo!
Confirmation of two competitive events in November as follows:
- Saturday 12 November, 2-4 pm: our Wednesday night players host Waterford SO in an inaugural inter club friendly competition at the Club premises – singles only with individual medals and team trophy (and bragging rights!) up for grabs. Afterwards we will have some food and chat in the Montenotte Hotel to wrap up the day.
- Saturday 19 November, 12 pm: South Coast Table Tennis host the second in the series of ranking events in Cork in St Multose Hall, Kinsale, Co Cork. Our senior, veteran and Wednesday night players will all be taking part. Application form available from any of the Committee. Stay tuned for photos!
A great day was had by all at our inter club match versus Waterford SO. The results on the day were as follows: Individual Male Winner: Keith Whelan, Waterford SO; Individual Female Winner: Claire Power, Waterford SO; Team Winners: Beech Hill. The photo below shows our team captain for the day, Aoife Kelly, receiving the Team Winner’s Cup from Club Committee Member, Eoin Kelly. We all enjoyed ourselves with soup and sandwiches afterwards in the Montenotte Hotel. We look forward to a re-match with Waterford in March 2017. See our photo gallery for more photos from the event.
Welcome to Morhigho Eroutteh to the Club as both player and coach. We will provide more details of Morhigho’s involvement in the Club at a later date.
The Club were well represented at the South Coast Table Tennis Munster Ranking event on the 19th with Seniors, Veterans and Wednesday night players competing. The group of Wednesday night players who competed are shown below and the pick of the bunch is Matthew Collins who won the individual ID event beating Liam Hayes from West Cork -congrats Matthew!
Check out our veterans !
There was a poignant moment at tonight’s Club Awards with the presentation by dad, Kevin, of the Steven Kelleher Memorial Perpetual Cup to Club Chairman, Philip Shaw. The Cup will be awarded to the Club Person of the Year on an annual basis. The Kelleher family were also represented by Steven’s sisters Grace and Jane. We hope that Steven’s memory will live on within the Club when we talk about this cup. Thanks to the Kelleher family for their generosity.
We had 11 Wednesday night players competing in the Munster Open Championship in the Kinsale Community Centre. Congrats to Liam Hayes, from the West Cork Club, on winning the Individual Male in the ID Category (with Matthew Collins of BHTTC a worthy runner up) and to our own Aoife Kelly for winning the Individual Female competition in the ID Category.
9 Wednesday night players competed in Clonakilty against members of Cope Foundation SO team as part of their preparation for the Regional Competitions on 01 April. Sad to report they came out on top!